Hancock County Public Transportation System
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM
DOOR TO DOOR AND CURB TO CURB
service for all residents of Hancock County
Hancock County Public Transportation System Linking People to Places
Rides brochure (PDF 316kb)
Pamphlets available in alternative formats upon request.
LINKING PEOPLE TO PLACES
The Hancock County Public Transportation System (HCPTS) provides demand response door-to-door public transportation to the elderly, disabled and all other residents of Hancock County. The HCPTS has vehicles equipped with wheelchair lifts or ramps and securement systems for wheelchair dependent individuals.
HCPTS and its provider agencies do not discriminate in admission to programs and services or treatment of employment in programs because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, or an unfavorable discharge from military service in compliance with the Illinois Human Rights Act, the U.S. Civil Rights Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Age Discrimination Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment act and the U.S. and Illinois Constitutions. If you feel you have been discriminated against, you have the right to file a complaint with the HCPTS Transit Director 1-877-371-4278 and/or the Illinois Department on Aging 1-800-252-8966 Voice and TTY.
POLICIES & PROCEEDURES
drivers will assist disabled and senior passengers in entering and leaving the transportation vehicle. HCPTS drivers will assist disabled or senior passengers with loading and unloading up to six regular-sized shopping bags (not weighing more than 20 lbs per bag. Parents must provide an appropriate child restraint system for all children up to age 8 years old, as well as, secure their children in an appropriate child restraint system. Service animals are permitted to accompany passengers with disabilities and must remain out of the aisles. Personal care attendants will ride free. Companions will be charged the same fare as the passenger. All passengers must wear lap and shoulder belts. Extension seatbelts are provided.
QUESTIONS & COMPLAINTS
Service questions or complaints should be directed to Central Dispatch at
Refer to the Official Passenger Handbook (PDF 269kb) for more information
Call 1-877-371-4278 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday to schedule a ride. Transportation service will be available Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Service is provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Schedule drop-off times at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to allow for any delays while traveling.
- Riders must be ready 15 minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.
- Out of county, non-emergency medical trips are to and from essential and necessary medical services not available in Hancock County.
- Riders are required to schedule rides within the county, 24 hours in advance (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday)
- Non-emergency Medical Transportation must be scheduled at least two working days in advance of the appointment day.
- Passengers are encouraged to have the exact fare; drivers may not be able to make change.
- Senior riders (60+) do not need to bring money to pay for their fare. At a later date they will be sent a statement reflecting the amount they may donate towards the full cost.
CANCELLING A RIDE
- Passengers are encouraged to cancel scheduled rides at least 24 hours in ad-vance. Any cancellation received later than one hour prior to the scheduled pick-up is considered a late cancellation and will be noted on the passenger’s record.
- Three or more cancellations or no-shows in a 90-day period will be considered excessive.
- Passengers will receive a written notification by mail.
- Passengers who are not present for their pick-up time within 5 minutes of the sched-uled pick-up time are considered no-shows and will be assessed a $5.00 charge payable upon their next boarding call.
- No-shows that occur because of an emergency beyond the passenger’s control will be a non-chargeable no-show if the passenger can provide a documented explanation.